From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gavin Lawrie
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:44 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] ST replacement

On 19 Mar 2008, at 18:58, Jeremy Witt wrote:

> If that is for real, I only hope there is a slightly smaller ST in
> the works.  Like 750-800cc.  I can't believe Triumph would be
> looking at the 3 generations of STs as failures.

I hope you mean smaller as in engine capacity.  One of the reasons I
ended up with an ST originally was that it had a decent sized frame.
I am dismayed by the trend of recent years to pursue top speed above
all else, especially once they realised that easiest way to do this
was to reduce frontal area.  Now we have review after review noting
positively 'low seat height'.  I'm all for equality etc, and so am
delighted for short people everywhere.  But at some point there has to
be a realisation that touring on a faired roller-skate (however fast
it goes) is less than practicable - from a comfort and luggage
carrying (and fuel capacity) perspective.  I wonder if some of the
enthusiasm for the GS series is that doesn't require you to fold up /
tuck in to ride it.  Let's hope that Triumph take the new mid-sized
BMWs seriously and come up with a 'slightly better in every dimension'
version of the F800ST - how about (just guessing) a 900cc (not 800cc)
sports tourer with three cylinders not two...

Just an idea. :)

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183.
Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/

Checked by AVG.