Re: [St] The Future of Motorcycling

In a message dated 21/03/2008 11:09:31 AM AUS Eastern Daylight Time,
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> You'd think $4.00 gas prices would have the motorcycle dealership
> floors empty. What a stupid country we are.

That has been happening here in Oz and there has been a concerted government
effort to stop people getting onto bikes. Petrol (gas) is $1.40 - $1.60 per
litre. $2.00 per litre isnt far away.

In the state of South Australia, there was a massive increase in people going
through compulsary rider training to get their bike licence. The training
scheme is subsidised by the state government. Their response to this increase was
to remove the subsidy from the licence scheme, effectively doubling the cost
of getting a bike licence. A state minister went on record as saying "due to
the increasing cost of fuel, more and more people are turning to motorcycles as
a cheaper form of transport. If we dont do something, this trend will
continue..."

Brett.