Re: [St] The Future of Motorcycling

In Europe the Harley crowd that is the focus of the article is much
less of an issue.  Rather we have YouTube videos of maniacs doing
150mph+ on highways, and a bike industry focused still on selling race-
reps to the road bike market, which fuels the videos and provides
ammunition to the anti-bike lobby.  Even BMW got in on the act
launching the K1200 with a video of it ace-ing the Nurburgring.

Trouble is I think that it is hard for the industry to back itself
away from the power-to-weight ratio argument.  Did the new Tiger or ST
really need to have a bigger / more powerful engine than the one it
replaced?   Does anyone have any sensible use for a ZZR1400 that
wouldn't be equally well met by a (say) a Honda Blackbird?  Or a
Triumph ST?  In light of ever increasing output from 600cc engines, is
it surprising that last week one (admittedly loopy) safety pundit
called for a ban of all bikes over 600cc on basis that there is
nothing legal that can't be done by one of lower capacity.

But the market here doesn't tolerate 'not quite as powerful but more
practicable and better mileage' as a feature set for a 'new' bike.
Witness the polite indifference to Honda's Deauville (sp?) - a
'sensible' bike.  There are good reasons for having powerful bikes
(and anyone who tries to prise my hands off my 955 is in for a
fight... ;) ).  But until all-out track speed gets balanced out by
consideration of all the other reasons, things will look grim for the
future.

My 2¢

--

Best Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183.
Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/