Re: [St] The Future of Motorcycling

At 04:32 PM 3/21/2008, you wrote:

>"I do not think that legalizing the trikes or quads here in the US
>would be a good idea. Mostly because of our irresponsible public.
>Most drivers don't want to be held accountable for their parts of
>causing collisions right now. For the most part these people are
>protected by their vehicles. If we put them on these open trikes and
>quads, they will get hurt or killed."
>

>John, they are already legal, you just have to have a motorcycle
>liscence to operate one.  Which is one of their advantages.  As a
>motorcycle they don't have to meet car requirments and as such cost
>less and save weight.
>
>Gary

that is interesting since All I hear of in NJ is how the cops take
particular pleasure in busting quads that are running on the street.
I do not know of any quad that is street legal in NJ.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"

John,

I'm not intending this reply to be demeaning so please don't take it that way.

Two things and the first should be obvious:

1. New Jersey laws don't apply in Wisconsin, so what is illegal in New Jersey is not nessecarily illegal in Wisconsin.  Here 12 year olds can drive a tractor, on the road, when going from one field to another that is owned a mile down the road.  I doubt that is legal in every state.  Just one example.

2. Trike is 3 wheels and quad is 4.  That is not a brand name or a type of vehicle. Almost every vehicle on the road is a quad.  As for trikes, here we have choppers with VW backs and motorcycle front.  Some with Harley engines.
http://www.lehmantrikes.com/   The new street legal Can-Am Spyder http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2008-canam-spyder-test-61047.html  I believe these are 50 state legal.  I could be wrong about New Jersey.  I don't live there so a blanket statement would not be one I can make.

Gary