Re: [St] Insurance and Break In

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

on my new '67 650, which had no oil filter, i changed the oil at 50,
100, 200, 500, and every 1,000 until i mounted an external oil filter.
when i rebuilt it at about 15,000 miles, the crank journals looked
like they just came off the lathe [of course, the cams were trash, but
that was metallurgy, not tribology].

on my '06 Tiger, i did the Motoman breakin, with an oil and filter
change at 100. it seems fine at 8,000+ miles. if i were fly-and-ride,
i would warm them up, ride a Motoman-hard 50 mile loop, and come in
for a pre-arranged oil/filter change, then hit the road.

to add to the discussion: somewhere recently i saw mention of a study
that showed that 'dino' motor oil lubricity improved over time, doing
just fine at 15,000 miles [the additives certainly were depleted by
then].

pd