Re: [St] Break In

I like the method given here:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBike.html#BreakIn

but I've never had a new bike (and only one new car) to break in, so what do I know. It does make sense to me, though, and when I put the motor back together in my car I'll break that one in the same way. My new car was never "broken in", I just drove it, and not easy! At 80K miles, it still ran perfect with excellent power for that motor and was very clean when I adjusted the valves. I never got to see how far it would go, though, because I broadsided someone who ran a red light and the car was written off.

In general, I think the "break-in" procedures are probably more intended as a "new rider break-in" than a new engine break-in. I followed a similar procedure when I got my first bike (84 Honda Magna), and again when I went from that bike to the Sprint. The Sprint was massively powerful compared to the Magna, and so it was probably at least a couple weeks before I even went WOT. But, the Sprint wasn't new, I was just taking it easy to give myself time to get used to the (new to me) bike.

If everyone that bought a new bike followed a sensible rider break-in procedure (not far from what the factory recommends as an engine break- in procedure), there would be a lot less bikes wrecked in the first 1000 miles.

One of the main reasons that race engines don't last as long as a regular factory street engine is that racing engines are built with very loose clearances for best power. In fact, F1 engines are so loose that the entire motor has to be warmed up to operating temps before the motor can even be started (the oil and coolant are circulated through external heaters).

Jim