From: Frederic NIZERY <frederic.nizery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 14 May 2008 2:05 am
Subject: Re: [St] [ST]alternator troubles: follow up

All,?
?
Here is the follow up for now:?
?
One of the three stator coil is fried. That explain why the coils are now connected?
to the ground. It is a triangle arrangement by the way. The insulation has melted on?
one core of this coil. I have two options: rewire or buy a new one.?
?
I now have to double check the regulator/rectifier. I will simulate the stator w/ a transformer?
w/ a big condenser + power resistor as the load. A bulb could also be ok.?
Now I have to figure out how a bad rectifier could have fried one coil. In fact as?
only one coil is out, I can only suspect one or two diodes of the rectifier. I can't imagine the price?
of stator+regulator/rectifier. My bike was bought new in August 2002 that is 5 years and half.?
Re-wirering is probably the best option but painful. Plus the core insulator is melted. Epoxy?
+ thin glass fiber (50 gr/m2) can probably fix that.?
?
The bike will stay a long time in the garage I think.?
?
Fred?