[St] Getting the Bikes

Well, I now have 2 Tornado Red Sprint STs sitting in my garage, but they did not get there as hoped. Our "fly and ride" to pick up the bikes in Albuquerque, turned into a "drive and drive". Richard left for the UK on a business trip that could not be avoided on Saturday. As such, I drove with the trailer to Albuquerque to pick up the bikes. This was a round trip of about 1700-1800 miles. Luckily, my Mom went with me and shared in the driving duties so she could visit with my sister, her fiance, and his family. We took a day and a half to get out there but came all the way back in one day.

The bikes are beautiful, but they are still sitting on the trailer in the garage becuase I would prefer to have Richard help me unload them rather than my Mom (who has never handled a bike in her life!). I also refrained from taking a ride, wanting for us to ride both of them for the first time together. Besides, time was limited, and a short, pressured ride on a new bike is probably not a good idea.

I learned several things on this trip. One, men do not like to be passed by two women hauling a trailer with two motorcycles on it. They tend to speed up as you go by them ;-). Two, a tire on a trailer can "release" part of is threads and not go flat (thankfully!!!!). This happened while we were going south on I-35W in Fort Worth. I saw (and of course felt) the "alligator strip" go. Luckily there was an exit 1/4 mile up the road that had a gas station at it. After my heart came out of my throat and I quit shaking, we started to get the tools out to change the tire. I asked Mom if she perferred me to call someone to change the tire, and she said yes, so while I am using Onstar to get help, my 73 year old mother is out there still working towards changing the tire. (Mom is rather active and must keep busy -- she was roofing a weekend cabin at age 71!) Just as I hung up with Onstar, a gentleman came over and said he changed tires for a living and offered to do it for free. Within 5 minutes, the tire was changed. He refused payment, so I offered my profuse thanks and told him I would "pay it forward." I am so glad two STs that have virtually no miles on them did not damaged in this process! The drive that was to take around 14 hours took slightly over 15 because of this little incident. Before the next trailering trip, all tires on the trailer will be replaced, and we will have a jack other than the one that came with my vehicle!! The tires look(ed) good, but they have some age on them, and I will not take this chance again.

I am so looking forward to riding my beautiful new bike!!!!!!! It feels great to have an ST again . . . . .

Lisa
'08 Tornado Red Sprint ST