Re: [St] Crash protectors

Steve,

Really sorry about your story. The crash protector are known devices that brake the frame. Plastic is expensive but but less than the frame.
A good compromise would be bentable frame sliders. The energy has to be
absorbed somewhere. Benting a piece of iron would do part of it.

Fred

Hi all, Thought I'd share a little experience regarding the R&G crash protectors I'd fitted to my Sprint. After a low speed bump on Wed.(the man in the van admitted liability) I threw my bike up the road. the crash protector did more damage than it saved. To fit it, you remove the top torx bolt from the engine mounting, fit the bolt from the back, throw away the nut and, and the crash 'enhancer' is fitted >to the end of the bolt in place of the nut. Clear so far? The damn thing bent the bolt which in turn cracked the mounting bracket and now I have to drop the engine out to get the bracket welded. Oh! and the >fairing's bolloxed anyway! so it didn't help at all.
I had to suffer the indignity of going to the NW200 on my wife's Bandit!!
If you've got them fitted my advice is to throw them away.
Steve