Re: [St] R&G crash protectors

Robert

An interesting and creditable piece.

I have discounted fitting crash mushrooms because of the uncertainty
about overall benefit, despite having had two plastic replacements in
the 6 years of RS ownership.  It amazes me that there is no air/fluid
damper system in use.  I know it would knock the cost up but would
surely protect the frame from the initial impact with horizontal
surface.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> robertr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 21/05/2008 01:57:25 >>>
Firstly, this is not a sales spiel, just exercising a right of reply.

We distribute R&G crash protectors and have compared them with most of
the
opposition, to the point of purchasing and comparing, including the
main
Australian brand. In addition we have had a steady stream of customers
swapping from other brands after serious fairing or casting damage
with
brands that use 'L' brackets to avoid drilling fairings, or use cheap
hi-tensile bolts.

I can say without fear of contradiction that, correctly installed the
R&G
units provide the greatest level of protection of any brand we have
checked.
(We used to sell several other brands). We supply sets to several
racing
teams and have provided replacement 1/2 sets that have done their job
exactly as advertised at speeds up to 200kph. We also regularly provide
1/2
sets (32 over the last 3 years) to road riding end users who have
dropped
their bikes at various speeds from fairly low to tear up your licence
speeds.

I previously had an 04 ST with R&G's fitted that worked exactly as
designed
in what was definitely more than a low speed bump. Some bar end damage,
new
lever, mirror etc, but the protectors worked just perfectly.

On the 05+ models the system uses a CNC machined bar that spreads the
load
and provides 4 knobs which are required due to the fairing design.

Steve does not mention which year model his is however I'm assuming
from his
description of fitting that his is an 04 or earlier.

No crash protector can protect against all eventualities and those few
we
have seen where there has been some damage (not on an ST thus far) is
when
the protector hits immoveable object such as a kerb at speed or
incorrect
installation.

We hear quite a lot of arm chair engineer talk about crash protectors,
the
vast majority of it incorrect, or based on experience from using cheap
brands that have any combination of the following faults.

Using fairing mounting point instead of frame/casting junction.
Using an excessively long hi-tensile bolt on the theory that longest is
best
(longer = more leverage and force transferred to frame) - worst case
here is
a popular US Speed Triple item.
Brands that use hi-tensile bolts (the vast majority) which in the
right
circumstances can snap and take most of the fairing with them
Cheap bolts that bend too easily (some well known brands)
INCORRECT INSTALLATION! Amazing how many don't read instructions. We
suggest
everyone read the instructions TWICE with the parts laid out and
checking
carefully each part as it is referred to in the instructions just to
make
sure, before even touching the bike.

The R&G product is, as far as we are aware, the only one that is
approved by
an insurance company in both the UK and Australia, with premium
discounts.
It is also the product the Triumph use on their sponsored stunt Speed
Triple.

We have had 2 instances here in Australia of people claiming damage to
particular type of bike on a forum, though we have NEVER had a
warranty
claim and have been unable to obtain pictures or any other supporting
evidence despite requests, and R&G in the UK have likewise found no
such
evidence. One was pushing people to swap to another brand (we know to
be
inferior) and therefore have our suspicions.

Anyone who genuinely feels that an R&G product has failed to work as
expected in normal use is welcome to send pictures to me at
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and I will investigate and bring up with R&G
if
necessary - regardless of where in the world they were purchase from.

Apologies for the length of the ramble.