Re: [St] Tune up Time.

Hi,

Howdy.
I've been riding my 01-ST for a while now and with the
discussion about spark plugs that popped up recently
reminded me to do just that.
_
So, I am about to change the Radiator Fluid, the Brake
Fluid, Spark Plugs, fuel filter and Air Filter.
I bought an Air Filter and Spark Plugs, but I need
advice.
How to get the AirBox off to change the Spark Plugs?
get out the rear fairing, unscrew 3 tank bolts. Disconnect fuel lines protecting the frmae from fuel
Disconnect pump and gauge electric.
Get out the tank. Unscrew all the air box screws including the middle one. Unplug the temp sensor. Remove the air box cover. Remove the filter. Unscrew the inside airbox screw. Remove the botom part of the air box.
Remove the spark inline coils, change the plugs putting some anti-seize on the thread.
Re-mount.
-
Any advice on the Radiator Fluid Flush?
Possibly a little differences for the pre 2002.
Get out the left fairing. put a bassin under the radiator. Unfasten the lower hose. Get off the radiator cap. Unscrew the right hand screw on the top of the tank. Unscrew the flushing screw on the left engine side. Let the hose down for flushing more.
Remove the hose from the radiator. Let flush. Empty the rear tank by possibly un-mounting it. Careful, plastic L connector are fragile. You can also remove the regulation valve (you have a name for it?) cover. watch carefully the way the valve
is positioned. Remove the valve.
Rinse the circuit w/ clear water. Put back the tank and the valve and valve cover. Begin the filling procedure by filling the hose until possibly some fluid get out of the engine flushing screw.
Re-attach the hose and put back the engine flushing screw.
Fill the rear tank until high mark. Manage to put a hose on the top of the radiator in order to fill w/ a higher level than the radiator.
Fill the radiator until some fluid get out by the right hand radiator screw. Put back the screw.
Fill again until you see the level in the rear tank getting higher. That indicates that the upper connecting hose
is full of fluid. Remove the filling hose. Put back the cap.
Start the engine w/ the fairing off to double check if everything's OK. Start the engine. Idle until the fan runs.
Have an eye on the temperature gauge. It should be a little more than half the way. Let 3 fan cycle running. Turn off the engine and let it cool down. Check the rear tank level. add some fluid if necessary

-
Any advice on the Front Brake Fluid Flush?
See the rear brake. Less critical though as the tank is higher than the calipers. You need to unmount the left caliper
to get it higher than the right one while flushing it. Flush first the right one. Protect the fairing. Get a rag around
the tank.

In both cases rear and front, It is good to clean up the piston when replacing the pads. Given my recent experience,
I would say take the total caliper stuff apart, piton out and clear thoroughly. I got a piston rusted on a small point
and partially seized because of not doing it.

-
Any advice on the Rear Brake Fluid Flush?
Get out the old fluid w/ a syringe. Put some new fluid up to the top. Attention: while processing the flush, never let the tank emptying.
connect a flushing transparent hose to the caliper going into a small vase w/ fluid in it. while processing the flushing, when pressing on the pedal
you will unsrew the flush. when the pedal arrives close to its bottom level, close the flush and so on until the clear fluid appear in the hose.
Get some fluid in the tank when the level is below one third. Possibly be two people for the process. Adjust the fluid level. Tighten the flush.
Carefully remove the hose. Clean up.

-
Thanks! - Good advice is preferred.

I hope they're good.