Re: [St] Extra Fuel

At 11:32 AM 5/22/2008, you wrote:

Have been reading about this guy who had fuel tanks fitted inside panniers
built by a company in Oregon...

http://www.motobikeblog.com/2008/05/02/cannonball-run-on-a-ducati-1098s/
That was one of my two thoughts when you mentioned it.I've been thinking about doing something similar with one bag of a spare set of e360's. Yeah there are crash risks, and issues with filling & utilizing the spare tank, but I think you could overcome them if you really wanted to.

My second thought was to get a used tank and have it sectioned and stretched. You will need to find someone to customize a tank for you. I did that back in the late 80's to my CBR. The tank was sectioned in two places, stretched vertically, pie cut to widen the top and bottom "sump" was extended until it just made contact with the top of the airbox. All in all it added just shy of 3.5 gallons to the bike's total capacity keep my weekly fill ups down to one a week.
Since the tank was carefully done to try and keep the center of gravity right where the stock tank was it handled just fine.

I might even look at that on my own commuter ride.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"