Re: [St] The Dreaded "No Start" Syndrome

Nathan,
    Having gone thru the broken wire going into the ignition switch last fall (it started flaking out at the New Glarus,WI rally and broke completely as I turned into my driveway - whew!), here's what I know from my ST:

- the harness coming out of the ignition switch is about 18" long, and then plugs into the main harness.
- getting the switch out is a pain, unless you pull the top yoke off
- the switch is held in with bolts that have heads that break off when tightened (anti-theft). They are easy to remove if you wedge a small socket on the bolt head remains. I replaced them with stainless allen head bolts.
- in my case the wire broke close enough to the switch that I could re-solder the wire into the switch.  I found a complete set of ign switch/gas cap/seatlock/keys cheap on eBay from a low miles bike and used that since I don't trust my soldering long term.
- in my case I could cause it to cut out by moving the bars back and forth.

Good luck in tracking it down.  Contact me off list if you want to borrow my old ignition switch to rule that out in your case.

Rob

99 Sprint ST
04 Thruxton