[St] '08 vs 2000 Sprint ST

After 2k miles on my 2000 ST last week (which may not be alot for some of you, but I only average 10k a year on two wheels), I realized that I want a bike heavier on the touring end of the sport touring spectrum.  My bike did great, but I was a little stiff after riding all day.  I don't really want to go lay down $12,000 for a new bike, but on the other hand, I do not want to keep putting money into something that will never be what I am wanting out of my motorcycle.  So I am calling out all of the sprint wizards of this forum for advice on this issue.  Are the new models that much of an improvement on the old ones?  Should I  be content and enjoy the bike I have or bite the bullet, cough up the money, and get a bike I think I will be pleased with for years to come.

P.S.  If I keep my current ride,  it will need between $500 and $1,000 in maintenance and replacement parts.  Should I put this money into a new bike and sell this one before it depreciates any more, or should I just keep what I have.

To be continued
Derek Wilson
2000 Sprint ST