From: JES_VFR <jes_vfr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 2:19 pm
Subject: Re: [St] Return to DC

At 03:29 PM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
I have ridden one during the demo rides, and I kinda liked it. And I
agree,
it does ride like a 4-wheeler.  Plus it has plenty of power.

I did note the 'wandering' if you will, but I believe that it is
caused by
the road surface since the wheels aren't quite as wide as a car's
track.

I'll still have a real bike for the weekends, but I just wanted
something
safer in heavy traffic. And I liked the idea of being able to tow a
light
trailer.
--Joel

That wandering and twitchy-ness is real. Its caused by the front wheel track not being as wide as the wear pattern on the roads. So one wheel is always trying to fall into or climb out of a wheel rut. I had a couple of sports cars that were like and I hated to drive on most major Highways. So I seriously doubt that you would find the Spyder very much fun to drive around DC in.

As for towing, its not going to be a great idea either. The Spyder
supposedly has a stability system that uses the ABS system to help
keep it on the road. Do you think that this stability program is
going to be okay with you, adding a hundred pounds or so out behind
this thing? I'd highly doubt it. Even on my wife's car, I have to
turn off the Stability system when trailering the bike (Which makes
very little difference to me since I turn the GD thing off every time
I start the car, I hate it's poorly designed programming).

JohnS A Dragon Ascending "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"