Re: [St] Hmm... toasty! ...and battery woes

On 29 Nov 2008, at 13:02, Eoin Kirwan wrote:

I'm going to give my bike a weekend trickle charge for the rest of
the winter at least. Unfortunately a long run at the weekend is not an option
at present :/ Battery is a genuine Yuasa 18 months old, the electrical system
checks out ok, and the bike is in use every weekday, year round.

I would think you've just got a knackered battery. A couple of years ago I had similar problems - bike would start OK but battery would run out of puff quickly - more than once I ended up bump starting it. Put battery on an Optimate III when it wasn't running, and so on. Optimate didn't report any problems, and reported battery was 'fully charged' in the mornings. But turns out battery was the problem, and when I changed it, all the problems went away. I was a bit surprised - I thought the whole point of the Optimate was to alert you to this sort of problem etc, but didn't do so in my case. By look of the things you are thinking, you potentially could end up spending a lot of time and money and voltmeters and so on, and then change the battery... I'm not an expert, but surely a voltmeter would only be useful when engine is not running - as when it is running all you see is the voltage provided by regulator (assuming your alternator is working OK), unless the battery had a dead-short within it, but then you wouldn't be able to start bike at all. Unless you are completely over-rating your system with add on stuff (e.g. these lights etc.) - but you should be able to work out that by comparing peak output of alternator with total installed load. If voltmeter is only useful when engine stopped, just borrow a multimeter and put it in a pocket / pannier to check battery terminal voltage when you are having problems?

Anyhow, good luck - hope you find a cure soon.