Re: [St] Speed on a GPS

A short story on what John U. alluded to regarding the max speed readout on a GPS... I was traveling in northern Vermont in August, and when entering the small (read: miniscule) town of Georgia, I was invited by a local constable to share his shade on a 96 degree day afternoon. According to this gentleman, he had received a report of a "red sporty- type motorcycle traveling at an excessive rate of speed" somewhere south of the village, just a short while before I made my appearance. I volunteered that I had not seen a bike fitting that description in my travels that day...which got a nice laugh from the officer. He did ask for my documents, and returned in a few minutes with my paperwork, and to my relief, nothing else. We then proceeded to discuss the merits of a Triumph ST, and while the officer was perusing my bike, he remarked on the usefulness of a GPS- I had a Garmin 360 mounted on the bike at the time..."Yeah, my nephew has one of those gizmos in his car", he remarked, with a devilish grin, he reached over and toggled the display to the elapsed trip configuration, which showed a max speed of 113 MPH....All the while he's grinning at me like the Cheshire cat...."And what have we here?" he inquired..."Well sir, I said , surely that wasn't here in your fair state, I believe that was on the interstate down in Massachusetts"...His smile was his only reply as he bid me farewell- and "tell the guy on the red bike to slow done"...

Denis Liakos
'06 Sunset Red ST