Re: [St] Alas poor Sprint, I knew thee well

At 96,398 miles I took the 2002 Sprint ST in for an overheating problem. Donelson Cycle found the head gasket was leaking combusion into the water jacket. I decided the $2700 rebuild of the motor was financially better than buying a new bike. I got the bike back Fri of Labor Day weekend and left for Eastern PA. I made it 100 miles before the motor expired. Donelson did the autopsy last week and found one of the valve heads broke off the stem in cyl #3, it destroyed the piston, and all the shrapnel ended up in the lower end.

Valve heads don't just break off the stem 100 miles after a rebuild by themselves...they do that because the retaining mechanism was probably installed incorrectly and failed. The rebuilder screwed up and should be replacing the entire motor, whatever it costs.

Jim