Re: [St] Headlamp low beam question

On 24 Sep 2008, at 07:27, marc Ve wrote:

I reccomend changing the bulbs for high efficiency bulbs and fitting the relay. Cage pilots need to see you coming.

I had the relays fitted on my last ST (03), and high efficiency bulbs (and for a while 100W bulbs!). My current ST (also 03) has the stock arrangements (one for dip, one for beam) and high efficiency bulbs. To be honest, there's not really much difference in useful illumination between the two - not enough for me to want to fit the relays on the current bike.

The reason for this is (I think...) the lenses of the lights on the ST are tuned to suit either dip or beam only, not both. So when both are dip, one lens is directing the light where you want it, the other simply has the light source in the wrong place and so is doing a not very good beam pattern. When on dip the problem is reversed. IMO having two bulbs doesn't give twice the useful light pattern.

There may be a case to say having the relays gives you twice the size of 'light spot' for car drivers to spot. But also there is a chance that you'll dazzle them (e.g. dip bulb in beam light fitting sending light straight at them when you think you are on dip).

I'd think if you really are concerned about lack of lighting you'd be better off either fitting some additional riding lights (a while back someone posted about some that fit onto the fork stanchions I seem to recall), or change the lights for one of these HID kits (not sure if they are better, but they are expensive, so maybe...).

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183. Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/