Re: [St] Speedo pickup on RS/ST

Chris,

I had a similar problem one year ago. Following the advise of a pale of the list, I took apart the sensor. After putting everything together it worked again.
But the symptom reappeared, and redid the trick. At this time I was commuting only.

It turned out that in fact it was due to the alternator (flying wheel) that was failing. It was in fact depending on the battery voltage. It got really bad on the next trip
and starting difficulty was followed by stuck speedo. I learned that the hard way as
I was stuck twice far from home

Fred.

My speedo died on the way to work yesterday and I happened to see it go.
Quite funny really.  It read 0 from about 0 - 10mph then 1 from
10-40ish and I managed to get it up to 11 on the motorway!  Hopefully
you can't be prosecuted on that evidence.

I was pretty sure what the problem was (front wheel sensor) so pulled
it off this lunchtime.  It now works again but the cause might be of
some interest to listers.

A couple of years ago I had the front tyre replaced and on my way home,
noticed the speedo was not working so returned to get the job done
properly(?).

The drive for the spinning magnet is via a tabbed washer and it needs
to be 'mated' with the magnet before fitting the wheel to the forks.  If
you don't bother, and tighten the wheel anyway, the tabs get bent away
from the magnet and if you don't straighten them they will never mate
correctly and will chip away at the magnet every time the bike goes
forwards or backwards.  This gets worse if the grease on the magnet gets
clogged with dust and dirt, raising the resistance to turning.

So, if you have the front wheel off, I suggest checking that the tabs
are not deformed - i.e. the face of the washer is flat and the tabs
stand out at 90 degrees to it.  When fitting to the wheel, try to line
up the slots with the tabs by eye then apply light pressure while
turning the wheel until you feel the sensor drop into engagement.

HTH

Chris Harwood
00 RS