Re: Octane Rating

At 06:39 PM 3/28/99 -0800, David Matz wrote:

>For riders in the United States:  What type of octane rating are you
>using?  The owner's manual implied I would need to use Super Unleaded, but
>I wasn't familiar with the unit of measurment that was used for the
>suggested octane rating.

I read the various answers to this one and am in some disagreement, so let
me throw in my 2 cents.

The manual calls for, if I recall correctly, 95 RON (Research Octane Number).
There are actually two different methods of calculating octane: research
octane and motor octane.  In the US, the number you see on the pump is
actually the average, (R+M)/2.  The pump will usually have this equation
written on the pump, without explaining anything about what the damn thing
means.  Motor octane is usually a couple of points below the research
octane, so a research octane of 95 corresponds to a motor octane of about
93 and a pump label octane in the US of 94.  The best gasoline around here
is 94 labeled octane, which will be about 95 research octane and therefore
meets Triumph spec, and that's Super Shell.

With a compression ratio of 11.2:1 on the ST, I strongly recommend that
you stick to the factory spec and run the best gas you can.  The dollar
difference is minimal.  Performance will be improved.  And engine lifetime
will be increased.

Anyway, as Dennis Miller says, that's my opinion, I may be wrong.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx