New bike thoughts

Hi all,

    Well, I've got it!  After umming and ahhing for several seconds I
decided on an ex-demo ST, and picked it up on Thursday afternoon just
in time for the four day weekend here :-)  Unfortunately the dealer
(Hughenden M40) couldn't get the luggage in time, but reckon it'll be
in in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed!  The salesman also reckoned
that black luggage (for it is, of course, a black bike ;-) is easier
to come by, because red bikes are selling better - so common ;-)
Never mind, I had anticipated this eventuality and arranged to borrow
a set of throwovers from a friend.

    Thursday afternoon was sunny and traffic was light.  Having 2,988
miles on it when I picked it up there was no tedious running in to do,
but I had managed to get a new rear tyre thrown in and had to take it
easy on account of that - well, sort of :-)  I took a meandering route
home, stopping off to pick up some chain lube and blind spot mirrors.

    To cut a long, but very interesting, story shorter, I have done
600 happy miles since Thursday afternoon, but there are a few niggling
problems I want to deal with as soon as possible.

    The fuel gauge is completely random.  It goes from full to empty
and back again, and the fuel light has a mind of its own.  The trip
meter works though, and over the course of the weekend I managed to
get from 50mpg down to a more respectable 45mpg :-)  Imperial gallons,
that is.

    I find the throttle action rather heavy; the salesman explained
that "they all do that sir" but I'll see what a little grease can do.

    The mirrors are better than the Jack Lilley demo bike, but not as
good as my Super III.  I can live with them.

    The front brakes have plenty of power, but do *nothing* for the
first quarter of the lever travel - is this as good as it gets?  Would
bleeding help?  Any suggestions?

    These are minor problems on an excellent bike.  Once I've sorted
them out I will be even happier, if that is possible :-)

                Jim
- --
Jim.Gillespie@     ,'_              All I remember is waking up at 9am
  sbil.co.uk      / -.--.    ___    feeling like I'd been run over by a
+44 171 721 2672 _\_x ~~\`--'_,-'   herd of elephants and suffering from
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   the hangover from hell.
'99 Sprint ST   \__/ `---'  \__/                                -- FLOYD