Re: Weekend Ride / Oil Leak

At 07:47 PM 04/11/1999 -0500, James wrote:
>Hi Lisa and everyone.  I just got home from a 1400 mile weekend ride.  Well
>I really started on Thursday.  The bike ran great, no oil leaks, high 40s on
>fuel.  I now have 2800 miles and I am still smiling :-)

Glad to hear you had a good ride.

My weekend however wasn't so good. Have been buried with the tax deadline
rapidly approaching - the more I play with the numbers however, the more I
seem to owe... :-(   Anyway, decided I needed a ride to relieve the
tension, so I set out on a short spin - of course checking for oil before I
left. I did a high speed run up through the space center, logging about 60
miles. I decided to put in at home for some food and then was planning on
riding south. Pulled into the garage, hopped off and did a check
underneath. Before I even got part way down, I could tell I had problems.
The lower fairing was covered with oil. Getting down for a closer
inspection, I found that I had leaks at several points. The entire
underside was coated with oil, including the center stand, the exhaust, and
the swingarm. Pulled the fairing, cleaned up the mess and then re tightened
all bolts to spec - at this point, I will let it sit until the new bolts
are available .....

The good news is that I had time to make the templates for the
invincashield ... and I am now getting really fast at pulling the fairing....

- - Eric