[no subject]

While Mikey is an incredibly talented mechanic,  I think he is incorrect on
this one. While not every bike will have a problem Triumph went to great
lengths to determine when the problem started and when it ended with
respect to VIN numbers. Both sources above (and several others I haven't
quoted)  have stated that all bolts in the VIN range are to be replaced. Is
mikey saying that he can see the difference between the good and problem
bolts and therefore he doesn't have to change them? It is obvious to me
(through my own experience) that the problem can occur at any time without
warning. I wouldn't want to be zipping around the California hillsides and
find myself with oil all over the rear tire ......

Even if Triumph came out and said "only replace those bikes that have a
problem", would you really forego the change and then spend every ride
wondering if you were about to have a problem ?

Let me know how this progresses.......

>	At 45XX miles already and have squared off the back pretty good.
>Talked to the guys at my dealer and they are pushing the Dunlop 205 as the
>replacement.  According to them they are getting about 10k out of them on
>the Trophys.  Any opinions?

I've heard the same, but have not used them myself. I averaged about 7k
(rear) on the Bridgestones on my previous Sprint and look like these will
wear the same. On the old Sprint, I moved to the Metzler MEz4's and while
very impressed with the performance, I chewed through them in about 6k
miles (they are supposed to be a longer wear tire).

>	I am also in the market for a throttle lock for my baby and am not
>liking the $100+ for the throttlemiester.  My buddy has a $12 version that
>somehow pinches the throttle.  Anybody know a manufacturer and possibly a
>vendor/dealer in the greater Los Angeles area?

There are several cheap throttle locks on the market. I tried several on
the 509, before just giving up - they either required drilling holes or had
flimsy plastic that would break after 1000 miles of use. Add up a few of
those and you've got the price of the Throttlemeister ..... plus the poser
value on the throttlemeister is much higher ;-)

>bucks.  Also who ever purchased their manual for $85, ouch!  I got mine for
>$55 yesterday.  You should give them a little hell over that one.

You got lucky as they charged you the price for the T5 service manual - the
ST manual for some reason while it is the same size as the T5, is
considerably more expensive on dealer cost - they took a loss selling it to
you at that price.

- - Eric