Re: New subscribers

Eric,

Sorry it took so long to respond, but I was reading through the
archives.  I thought that would answer all my questions, but now
I have even more questions!

I'm 30, 6', and all my street bikes have been Hondas.  My current
bike is an '85 Nighthawk S, which was a great around-town bike
when my daily commute was just around town.  But now I've got a
non-daily 160+ mile commute (SF to Santa Cruz via Skyline, so
don't feel too sorry for me), so I've been looking for a more
appropriate bike -- at least one that doesn't need to be filled up
every 150 miles!

I went down to Honda of Milpitas to try out the VFR800, but I can't
say I loved it.  I did like the 900RR quite a bit, although it
doesn't get the range I need (you have to start pushing it if
you want to go further than 160 miles on a tank).

I took an ST out earlier this week and subsequently put a down
payment on a red one.  The dealer (Munroe Motors in SF) said he
had one in the warehouse that could be set up within the week,
but he called me today to say he "found out" that it will actually
be two weeks or so.  Hmm.  I suppose it could be an honest mistake.

Eric, in the "early days" of the list, you asked what people would
like to see on the FAQ.  Here's my submission....

Unanswered questions (someone else has to fill in the answers, please):

Q: The graduated in miles (US) speedo is complete illegible.  What
   can I do about it?

Q: What is the VIN range for bikes with the "old" EFI tune?

Q: Why doesn't the heated grip switch light up?

Q: How do I disable the the turn-the-key-all-the-way-left-and-
   drain-your-battery-overnight feature?

Questions that I think I already found answers to:

Q: The angle of the clutch/break levers hurts my wrists.  I tried
   to angle the levers down where they would be comfortable, but
   the handle bars get in the way.  What can I do?
A: A lot of people have complained about this.  You can either
   replace the bars, or replace the levers.  Several manufacturers
   are currently working on replacement bars, and will post to
   the st list when they become available.

Q: Why does my bike sound like a Kenworth diesel at idle, and what
   can I do about it?