Re: Coolant leak

At 01:24 PM 04/25/1999 -0700, Paul Steinbacher wrote:
>I have noticed that I have a coolant leak on my ST. I saw some dried up
>coolant on a radiator hose through the lower left fairing opening . I took
>off the fairing and after letting the bike run for a while found the coolant
>was dripping (at a pretty good rate) out of the junction with the radiator
>overflow tube (right underneath the radiator cap). I'm not too much on
>cooling systems but my assumption is that the overflow hose must be plugged

I would check the routing to make sure the hose has not been crimped or had
another piece installed on top of it.

>off, I was assuming that it was spilled at fillup. I also noticed that the
>front mount for the overflow hose was not secured to the frame. It is a
>plastic clip that fits into a hole somewhere on the inner frame surface. No
>shop manual yet so I have not been able to verify where this goes.

Couldn't find it in the service manual, so as I am sick and can't ride
anyway, I pulled my panel and looked. There is a hole on the underside of
the frame about in line with the "R" of the Triumph logo on the tank. Reach
underneath and you should feel it about 3/4" up.

Now that I have the panel off, I'll fix my turn signal - the connector was
overly crimped on one side and left the wire just hanging out of the
connector. Finally found the appropriate size fitting (triumph doesn't
offer it separately) and was holding off until I pulled the fairing again.

- - Eric