front brake adjustment; seat catch failure

I find the front brake on the ST to have way too much free travel before anything happens, although they are plenty powerful enough when it does start to bite.  I am convinced this is dangerous, as I lost the front end for the first time ever on a bike (and survived!) on Sunday;  the point at which the brakes start to bite seems to be totally inconsistent making it very difficult to judge even in the dry; the Speed Triple was much better in this respect (about the only thing!).
Has anyone else had this problem, or found a way of improving it?

On another note; since the dealer fitted the pannier boxes last week I can no longer release the seat.  The key will not turn in the lock. Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

thanks
Jonathan