Comments on oil and the Arkansas Event

Hello everyone!!  I enjoy this newsletter very much and would like to add my
two cents on the synthetic oil issue.

I work for an oil company as an Environmental Manager so I spend lots of
time studying the chemical and physical properties of hydrocarbon compounds!
(Doesn't sound like much of a life does it?!)  A previous post stated that:

"Finally, my personal belief is
that no matter what super synthetic titanium oil you may use, it all gets
dirty the same way no matter how long it takes to break down.  Thats why the
change at 3000."

I strongly agree that yes, regardless of which type of oil you use it will
get dirty in the same way.  You certainly will never harm an engine by being
conservative and changing the oil before you may need to.  The only thing
you may hurt is your wallet!

However, my understanding is the main difference between oils regarding dirt
is how well they keep the dirt particles in suspension.  This action
prevents "scouring" of metal surfaces in your engine and protects it from
wear.  This protection is a direct function of the quality of the additives
used regardless of whether the oil is synthetic or not.   Motorcycle
specific oils mainly differ from car oils due to extra amounts and/or types
of additives that are designed to prevent viscosity breakdown and engine
wear.

I believe that is partially why Triumph pushes the Mobil synthetic because
they have confidence in the quality of the additive package to protect the
engine from wear.

The primary advantage of a synthetic oil is it's ability to resist
"shearing" of the polymer chains and thereby maintain a more stable
viscosity.  ie:  it will maintain its lubricating properties longer.

As for Arkansas, I definitely plan on attending the ST Rally!!!  Hope to see
many of you there!!!

Ride safe,

Charlie