Re: VFR vs. Sprint (again)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Rich Quinlan wrote:

> Hello all..  I'm new to the list, currently contemplating between the VFR
> Interceptor and the Sprint ST.  Can anyone help me out? I realize that you
> are all a *bit* biased, but here goes:

Biased?  Yup.  I replaced a veefer 800 (which I thought and still think is
a great bike) with an ST. The change wsn't voluntary, it was forced after
a Sunday ride from which we returned (albeit after a quick chopper flight
to hospital) but the veefer didn't.

That said, the ST was the number 1 probable replacement for the honda
before next summer.

> Sprint pro's: ENGINE! styling, brakes, torque, unique, SS brake lines,
> wheels are nicer

Yes to all the above.  And you'll get a lot more miles/km's out of the 21
litres of juice you're carrying.

> Sprint con's: low rpm limit, fit-and-finish, build
> quality, gauge cluster, price

The lower rev limit isn't an issue.  You just ride it in a different gear.
Although the honda had a higher red-line, you didn't get much out of it
till you hit 6,500 anyway.  So you've got about the same useable rev range
to play with, it's just higher up the dial on the Honda.  If you like the
sound of high reving 4's then this is a good thing.  I'm happier with the
lower rev note of the trumpy.

As for build quality and guage cluster, can't see the problem there.

> VFR pro's: Honda reliability, everything just as it should be (gauges,
> controls, etc), tail-end styling, headlights, solo cowl std., $1000 cheaper

Yup to all the above.  I slapped a cowl on my ST at purchase time (in fact
the cowl was in stock before the bike :)

> VFR con's: torque (vs. the ST), the rest of the bodywork styling, fuel
> mileage, lotsa-people-ride-hondas, don't really like the wheels

The main downfall of the VFR is the lack of mid-range, IMHO.  Having 150
more cubes thumping one less piston around gives you a nice fat mid-range.
My opinion of the honda was that it would have been just about perfect if
it had been a 900 not an 800.  The ST did the unthinkable and beat the VFR
at its own game.

Bambi

99 ST "Red Kangaroo"