RE: New subscribers

Hello, everyone.  Steve Smith, here.   Having been bitten by my nickname
(Mr. Crash Happy) February last, I find myself looking for another
motorcycle (I miss you sweet Esmeralda, rest in peace).  Except for my first
bike, a 250cc Ducati thumper, and my second bike, a Honda 305, I have always
owned Kawasakis.  Truly, I am addicted to the exhaust's lusty snarl, the
jangling motor racket, and the bulletproof simplicity.  However, I am tired
of 6000 mile valve adjustments, simple carburation, and lackluster styling.
I came to this happy place to see how folks who owned the ST really felt
about her.

I have been sufficiently impressed to place the Triumph on my short list,
but not wholly convinced I should buy one.  Your kind input would be
valuable to me.

The positives:  Use of current technology throughout.  Gorgeous bodywork.
Comfortable yet sporting ergonomics.  Fabulously over-engineered engine.
Available optional equipment.  Mystique of the marque.  I live in Fairfax
County, Virginia and the dealership in Rockville, MD offers racing support
services.

The negatives:  Everyone who owned a pre-Hinckley Triumph will tell you
about it (I was there, I know most of that stuff was crap).  Stories about
mysterious electrical problems (shades *sic* of darkness by Lucas).  Less
than enthusiastic customer service from corporate headquarters.  Long waits
for parts and accessories.

What is the valve adjustment interval?  Has anyone tried a more sporting
tire, say Michelin Macadams?  Is the swing arm attached to the lump or the
frame?  Does the EMU monitor for detonation?  Is there a catalytic converter
in the can?  How's the horn?

The other bikes on my current short list are CBR900RR, X1 Lightning, VFR800,
Hayabusa, and YZF R1 (I can dream can't I?).

Many thanks to Eric for yeoman work in maintaining and managing this list.

ssmith@xxxxxxxxxxx
mrcrashhappy@xxxxxxxxx

Crash's Credo:  I find motorcycling a highly personal experience in which I
achieve states of concentration not unlike meditation.  The pastime allows
me to indulge myself in illegal (misdemeanor) behavior and test the limits
of my riding skills, physical endurance, and good sense.  There is no joy
surpassing that of being scared spitless at speed and large lean angles on
an over-powered sport bike.  God, I love it so.  Now get the %@#! out of my
way, if you please, sir.