RE: Tires ... Again

Msg to Paul

I must respectfully disagree with your statement below.  I do not ride
that hard and still have unused rubber on the edges of my tires (3600
miles later, I might add) to prove it.  On weekends, I do go out and
ride on some of the wonderfully twisty roads that are plentiful in
Northern California.  I have been sliding the rear tire all too often.
This almost never happened on any of my previous bikes in eight years
and 75,000 miles of riding.  And my riding style hasn't changed all that
much with the ST.

I had some suspension adjustments made today by my dealer, a former
tuner and racer himself.  He admitted that several ST owners had
expressed similar concerns about the stock tires.  He recommended a tire
change to the MEZ4's.  I am also considering the Dunlop 205s.  These are
both rated as sport-touring tires and not race rubbers.  If I find
myself still sliding after testing these brands, I will concede your
point.  But until then, I don't think we as a group or the ST as a new
entry into the market have developed sufficient scientific evidence to
draw the kind of conclusion you propose.

Opinions are great, and I think we SHOULD share our respective
points-of-view here, but they're not facts.  And I would object to the
implied suggestion that anyone sliding a tire is riding too hard for the
street.  I would counter by saying that's a dangerous
over-simplification.  Let's wait until the results come in before we
declare a position.  Whaddaya say?

Bruce McCurdy
'99 Sprint ST
Black is *Beauty*ful!