Protect Yourself

Sunday, as I was approaching one of my favorite turns, I noticed the flashing lights.  Slowed down of course, and saw a state trooper, an ambulance, a fire truck, and three sportbikes (for which I recognized as being guys that I rode with a few Sundays ago).  Needless to say I stopped.  The fourth bike was a Honda CBR 600 (BT56 tires..I just thought I'd mention).  It was mangled against a tree, snapped swingarm and all.  The rider was lying in a barbed wire fence on top of the fence pole that he had knocked down.  He was receiving medical attention, screaming in pain.  The sight was horrible.  He was suffering from a broken Femur, internal bleeding, and the obvious road rash.  Ten minutes after my arrival, Life Flight touched down, but not before the tropper could write the poor guy two tickets (operating vehicle unsafely, and damaging property).  He was flown away and we started picking up the wreckage.  I don't want to get too gorey here but a few lessons were either reinforced or learned.  Always carry a cell phone, learn the roads before running fast, its much better to ride as a group, invest in full leathers and protective clothing.  He was wearing good boots, jeans, T-shirt, and a helmet.  I almost have a hard time wearing a helmet in the heat of summer, but seeing this reminds me of just how quick a Sunday motorcycle ride can turn into a helicopter ride.   We really couldn't figure out how it happened.  Maybe he was upset by the pavement irregularities halfway through the turn, or maybe he froze, or maybe he paniced - hit the brakes and stood the bike up...who knows?  Eye opener though!

End of st-digest V1999 #170