Re: RE: Radar Detectors

Laser is seldomly used however.  The "Stop and Rob" Mobster (I like that phrase) must be stationary, and usually has his/her (actually yours because you pay taxes) patrol vehicle parked at an angle (seeing the side of the patrol vehicle from the road).  They do this so that they can shoot the beam at you through their door window (which needs to be down because glass will reflect, absorb,  and refract the light beam), and they have to "aim" the thing at you using their sights (like a gun) because the beam is small.  A vehicle needs more room on the "shoulder" of the road to be parked sideways, so where they can use laser detection safely is limited.  Either this, or they have to be standing outside the vehicle pointing the thing at traffic like a gun!...rather obvious!!!  With all of this in mind, laser speed detection is a pain for them to use.  You would think that there would be a paint out there that will absorb and not reflect the light beam, making us even less detectable!

As for those mobile trailored "you are speeding" things you see on the side of the road that show your speed in big flashing red numbers, I believe that they use a really weak radar, because my radar detector hardly sees them (very weak alarm), and the thing goes nuts with real police radar.  I think it may be a ploy to convince motorists that radar detectors suck.

End of st-digest V1999 #174