Effect of solar eclipse on my ST

Having set out with friends to bike down to Cornwall to see the
solar eclipse yesterday (Wednesday), we stopped at a friend's
house in Southampton to eat dinner and stay the night before
driving down the next day. Got there from London with no hitches
except for a fairly heavy downpour on the M3 on the way down.
So far so good.
Next day, we're all ready, waterproofed and packed up, poised to
drive off.
Having wheeled my bike away from the front of his garage so that
he could get his bike out, I then press the starter button - and
NOTHING happens.
For the first time in the history of my bike, it won't start.
Odd, I think - did I leave the dreaded parking light on?
I ask my host - he says definitely not, as he came out to lock
up the garage in the dark and he would have seen if any light
was on.
I think it must be a fuse or a short, as the whole system is
dead, but he thinks the battery has discharged and suggests
recharging it for 20 minutes while we have a cup of tea. Sure
enough, after half an hour, there's enough juice in it to start
the bike and get on our way.
So no harm done - but any ideas, anyone, how this could have
happened?
I know damp sometimes gets into a bike and does something to
cause the battery to go flat - but what?
Also, the battery must have been at an all-time high after the
2-hour run down and given the time of year, I would have
thought.

Does anybody else carry a set of jump-leads on them so that they
can always get started that way if this kind of thing happens? I
might consider buying a pair and keeping them under the seat for
future reference.
Otherwise, the bike performed excellently during all three days
and proved a great asset on the tricky hills, the one-track
roads, crossing the moors and driving through the fords of Devon
and Cornwall.
Even when I was forced to brake late on gravelly corners, there
were no mishaps.
So I've come to the conclusion that the ST is a pretty faithful
and forgiving friend - right?

Tim