Re: Apologies to Ross

- --------------997304409DC243B8C78C1998

TXToday@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Though several defects on my ST have been resolved, I am currently running
> with three manufacturing defects (fuel gauge, melted fairing, and unstable
> mirrors).  On all three of these issues, I have not heard one word from my
> dealer or Triumph.  All information has been received via this list!  I don't
> think that should be the case.

Rick, you just happen to be more "plugged-in" than the average owner of
a vehicle, be it a car or a motorcycle. You're able to talk with a large
number of fellow owners quickly and conveniently. Triumph has to wait to
hear about problems from the dealers, so it can take a little longer for
Triumph to actually receive all the information you hear right away on
the list. So, it's not surprising that you hear about potential problems
on the list long before Triumph has the chance to 1) hear about the
problem in sufficient numbers to begin looking for a pattern, 2) figure
out what the problem is, if it really exists on a wide-spread basis, 3)
come up with a fix that doesn't break something else in the process, and
4) distribute information about the problem and the fix to dealers.
Lucky you!

> I realize that some things such as the melting fairings are recent
> developments and may not have been addressed by Triumph yet, but othes such
> as the fuel gauge and mirrors are months old problems have obviously been
> addressed by Triumph internally.

I doubt that Triumph fixed the fuel gauge problem many months ago, only
to sit on it and not release the fix to the dealers. It could be that
developing a reliable and accurate fuel gauge for a motorcycle is a
pretty tough problem, and it's simply taking a while to solve. It could
be that Triumph is relying on the fuel gauge engineering expertise of
another company, and this other company's having a hard time coming up
with a working gauge. Maybe Triumph's even as fed up as you are with the
fuel gauge problem and is switching fuel gauge suppliers!

All I'm suggesting is that Triumph may be just as annoyed with the fuel
gauge problem as you are, and that they're probably running into
problems coming up with a good fix. Frankly, I'd rather wait for them to
get the fix right the first time, even if it does take a little extra
time.

As for the mirrors, well, there seem to be plenty of folks who think the
ST's mirrors are great. However, Triumph does listen to its customers
and hears some of them complaining about shakey mirrors. So, it looks at
what can be done to make them even better, it finds a solution, and
makes the appropriate change for the next model year. Depending on how
the fix is done, you may be able to retrofit it to your bike, but maybe
not. Them's the breaks, and they happen all the time. There will always
be a newer and better version next year. If it really annoys you, trade
your 1999 for a 2000. Or, even better, if it really is a widespread
problem, come up with a fix yourself, sell it, and make a mint!

Well, that's my $0.02 (and then some, probably).
- --------------997304409DC243B8C78C1998

begin:vcard
n:Sobiloff;Blake
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.higher-ed.net/
org:KPMG LLP;Higher Education Consulting
adr:;;2001 M St. NW;Washington;DC;22036;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Consultant
fn:Blake Sobiloff