What the well-prepared ST rider keeps under his or her rear seat.

Eric.

No, nothing.
No alarm, no toaster, no hairdrier, cigar lighter, radio,
personal stereo or walkie-talkie, just a 26" TV set with
quadrophonic speakers <g>.
I must have formulated myself sloppily, as I meant to say that
said failure to start occurred on the TUESDAY morning, as we
were due to set off for Cornwall, so over 24 hours before the
eclipse started.

No, I had no other problems with the bike at all - that's what
amazed me.
Good to know that there is no obvious, non-cosmic explanation,
all the same.
It probably has something to do with the wet conditions.
I have now bought the cheapest and least bulky pair of jump
leads from Halfords superstore, which I plan to keep under the
saddle of my bike for future contingencies. Seems such a waste
to have to wait around for 1/2 hour while it charges, when there
is always a car or truck on hand to get you started.

The only other problem was not being able to unlock the seat
while the panniers were on, which is kind of screwy when it
comes to design - but that has been mentioned. Also, I find that
the two long, grooved rubber protective pieces fitted on the
underside of the saddle have a tendency to fall off when you
remove the seat, and when they do so I have  a job getting the
saddle to click back into place - anyone else tried that? Still,
it's a plus that there's so much extra storage room under the
back of the seat - so what do other people keep there? condoms?
chocolate? water? oil? chain lube? fresh shirt? maps?

Tim