Re: Personal Review

Brad Hancock wrote:

> Who out there has had a reasonable amount of experience on both the
> Executive and the ST and would be willing to give me a seat of the pants
> report on the differences?

Brad,

There a number of ST riders who used to ride the Triumph Sprint and Sprint
Executive, including Eric, the gentleman hosting this list.  I rode the
Executive for about 8000 miles in the year I had it and have ridden the ST for
about 3000 miles now, so I believe I can offer a reasonable opinion.

First, I presume you will be buying the Executive used for a good price, so you
stand to save a lot of money buying it instead of the ST.  If this is your main
concern, read no further, but from looking at your web page, I believe this is
not your main concern.

I will start with the good points of the Executive.

   * The Excutive's mirrors were rock solid at all speeds,
   * The half fairing allowed cooling air to flow over the engine without
     heating up the rider, except at stops
   * The riding position was more upright
   * The price of the Exec was less that the ST, especially considering the bags
     were standard
   * The looks of the Exec stand out more than the ST, which looks like many
     Japanese bikes
   * The tank held 6.6 gallons of fuel.

Bad points of Executive

   * Heavier than the ST
   * High CG, especially with 6.6 gallons of fuel
   * High wind turbulence behind the screen--buffeting was pretty bad on the
     highway, especially when drafting in behind other vehicles
   * The carbs appeared to be a lille finicky and I had to have it in once to
     have them cleaned after letting her sit for a few weeks.  I also had to
     have the alternator replaced.

In general, I was really happy with the Exec and know you will be if you decide
to go with it.  It will be lot more like your BMW than the ST, but I believe it
has a more torquey motor.  Although the CG and weight are listed as negatives, I
was really surprised at how well the bike handled at all speeds that I had her
up to -120 mph.

Now for the ST, from the points above, you should guess some of the points
below.  Bad points are listed first this time.

   * The ST's mirrors vibrate, but I find them to be useable, at least up to
     speeds I have taken her (120 mph).  Some people report theirs do not
     vibrate and I believe this will not be a problem on the 2000 models.
   * The full fairing and the perimeter frame direct heat to the inner thighs
     while moving and at stops.  I believe this is more of a problem down here
     in Texas than up there.  Riding in the cold months, I expect you will even
     appreciate this.  BTW, it is not as bad as people report it was on the
     Daytona.
   * The riding position is more forward than the Exec.  Gen Mar now make some
     risers that people are saying good things about, but, where Lisa and I
     originally thought we would need these, we are very comfortable on the
     stock bars.
   * Some think the ST looks like many Japanese bikes, especially Honda's VFR,
     but I believe it looks better.
   * The tank holds 5.6 gallons of fuel, BUT it gets better gas mileage than the
     Exec, so you get about the same distance out of a tank of fuel, around
     220-235 miles.
   * With this being the first year model for the ST, there have been two
     recalls and some problems with the gas gauge on some models.  Both recalls
     were performed on my bike before I picked it up, and they are working on a
     fix for the gauge.  I have not had her in the shop other than for regular
     maintenance and the fuel injection seems to be less finicky than the carbs
     on the Exec.

Good points of ST

   * Lighter than the Exec
   * Lower CG
   * More nimble
   * Quicker acceleration
   * Better wind protection at highway speeds.
   * Smoother engine
   * Better handling
   * MORE MOTOR
   * MORE MOTOR
   * MORE MOTOR

Bear in mind, I knew all the negative points of the ST before I bought my bike
(second in the garage and the wife already has 6000 miles on hers), so I do not
find any of the known problems to be major, just a little character.  My wife
and I are really enjoying our ST's!  It is far more nimble than the Exec and
feels quicker getting up to speed.  Both feel stable at high speed, but the
lower wind turbulence on the ST will allow us to ride longer distances without
as much fatigue (the more upright position of the Exec was also hurting my
posterior more than the ST).  Many e-mails on this list from people who have
ridden more bikes than I, refer to the ST as the best bike they have ever
ridden.

IMHO, whichever way you go, I believe you will really enjoy your new ride.  But
please read the warning below.

WARNING:  DO NOT demo the ST unless you are seriously considering getting one.
You will not be happy until one sits in you garage and many a strong man has
fell to her power.

..Richard White

End of st-digest V1999 #179