Starting from scratch

I took delivery of my new ST this morning (it only had 4 miles on the odometer
from the dealer prep test ride).  The break-in routine requires that the engine
not exceed 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles (160 km) which means taking great
care to control the throttle while keeping a watchful eye on the tachometer.  So
far, I've put on 50 miles (80 km) of combination city and highway riding (I'm
currently on my lunch break and letting the bike cool down).  I'll be riding
more today, not to worry.  ;-)

Initial impressions:  The heat around the back of my thighs from the engine at
speeds under 40 mph (65 kph) is annoying (but not burdensome) in the summer
weather, but I'm sure I'll be happy about have my legs warmed up while riding in
October and November.  The reach to the clutch lever is a bit long, though I
have decent sized hands so I quickly forget about the reach.  The clutch doesn't
activate until the last part of the clutch lever travel.  The mirrors do bounce
around a little, but no worse than the mirrors on any other bike I've owned.
The main thing is I can easily see what is behind me.  I checked for the upper
radiator hose rubbing "virus" and sure enough, it's rubbing against the engine
mounting bolt.  I'll put a bit of rubber gasket material in there to prevent
chafing.  Interestingly, the fairing is lined with gray closed-cell foam rubber
and there is a metal heatshield material on the right side lowers.  I hadn't
noticed these before.

The transmission is a little notchy and pulling away from the dealer I couldn't
get the bike to shift from 1st to 2nd gear.  However, the shifting is getting
much better with each gear shift I make and each passing mile (or kilometer).
I'll probably need to get something to protect the back of the gas tank as I
like to be right up against it.  I'm 5'10" (177 cm) tall, and the reach to the
bars is fine, but they are a little lower than what is ideal for me so I have to
move up against the tank to be a little more upright.  The hand grip diameter is
a little too small for me (and the grips are hard) so I may switch to a foam
style grip in future (or spring for a set of heated grips).  The footpeg
position is near perfect for me.  The seat is comfortable and the airflow around
the fairing and wind screen is smooth and free from turbulence.  Handling is
light and nimble and the ST took a bumpy sweeper turn with no problem.  This
sweeper normally upset the chassis of my Seca 650 and R100RS, so that says a lot
for the ST's compliant handling.

My Chase Harper ET4000 saddle bags fit fine.  I had to get a little creative
with my Eclipse saddle pack but it will work.  I'm still trying to determine how
to best mount my Chase Harper 1501 Eurosport tank bag.  The only thing I need is
a nice Triumph key fob for my ST's key.

I'll report more later...

GG
http://home.att.net/~gggjaguar (my other hobby)