Re: risers/tall shield

Dan...and other listers (this is in response to the tall screen with Gen Mar risers.)

Here is the report.  I installed the Gen Mar risers, and all went well.  The clutch cable has to be removed totally from the hand lever for the reroute (which must go above the top fork tree instead of in front the steering head between the upper and lower fork trees).  The clutch cable will rub on the top fork tree, so chaffing protection needs to be installed.  The supplied brake line, in my opinion was almost too long.  The bars look good and feel good too.  I was about to swap out the tall screen for the short one on Saturday, but I received a call from a friend 150 miles away who just bought a Speed Triple....so I had to go!  The tall shield and the risers definately compliment each other.  I put at least 500 miles on the combination in two days.  It was rather warm.  Temperatures reached 100 degrees.  My full face helmet ventilated marginally, so I am changing back to the short screen until it starts getting cooler.  One thing I noticed was that bumps in the road do not jar my wrists near as much with the risers.  I may start messing with preload settings...take a little out of the front, making it even smoother!

The front brakes seem to work better now!  I think either the Gen Mar supplied line does not expand under pressure as much, or I did a better job at bleeding the brakes than the factory (doubtful!), or a combination of both.  I would inquire about the brake line gaskets, and insist that they be sent as part of the kit.  I bought five of these gaskets at a Yamaha dealer (on the way home from work) for $9.36 (ouch).  I almost didn't buy them out of principle of being bean-holed, but I let them know how I felt about it, pulled my pants back up and left.  I did try an automotive parts supplier prior, but they didn't have the right size.

Dan,

I just read your post on the mirror vibes.  Is this brace merely a plate that will distribute the contact area where the mirrors are fastened to the fairing to stiffen the area?  How about adding weight to the mirrors..may help or worsen? or possibly relocation?  On my ST it seems that the mirrors/windshield only shake when being buffeted by another vehicle's turbulence.  Keep us posted.  If it works, draw a plan for it and send/fax to Eric, so he can put it on the site...or maybe sell them to other listers, or Triumph.  I don't know what their "brace" consists of, or if it really solves the problem.  I like your idea.  Maybe the fix can be as simple as installing oversized washers?