RE: Fuel Vent Orientation

At 07:59 PM 08/16/1999 +0100, Martin Wilson wrote:
 >The Forward line on the tank appears to be the vent one.
 >I looked at mine as there appears to be quite a lot of suction effect when I
 >open the tank.
 >However although I have located the line and cannot blow through it I can't
 >find this check valve.
 >I have a June 99 UK model.
 >Is it not fitted to this model or am I overlooking it ?
 >And if it's not fitted do I have another problem?

It may not be fitted on your model. I seem to remember from somewhere that
they were going to be dropped from everything except CA spec bikes or for
any market that required it.

It should be readily apparent when you look at the line - usually about
1-2" below where the line attaches to the tank.

To test the line, first try it with the tank open. If you can't blow
through it at that point, you have a line that is pinched or blocked (or
you have the wrong line!). If you can't blow through it, attempt to pull
the line all the way out - you will probably find that it is caught on
something.

If you can blow through it, then check to make sure your connection on the
tank / filler cap is not obstructed in some way. You can see the vent feed
thru to the right of the open gas cap. When closed, the vent line is mated
with the cap which has a vent hole in it.

- - Eric