Re: risers/tall shield

David, and everyone else,
I'll try to explain the brace I am making.  Before removing the taller screen from my ST, I took the bike for a ride to see exactly how much it would take to smoothen out the vibrations.  I found that by just placing my index finger on the outside of the fairing extension the shaking would stop and the mirror would clear up as well.  Back in the garage I grabbed the end of the extension and wiggled it to see where the flex point was and found it to be right where the extension starts to form at the fairing.  This spot is also exactly where the black inner trim piece meets the instrument panel.  I found the area in front of this spot (where the front windscreen attachment screw and mirror is bolted) to be quite rigid.  As far as I can tell, Triumph was hoping the stiffness of the windscreen and the black trim piece would stop the vibrations but it is not enough.  It seems the mirrors vibrate as a result of the flex in the extensions so I am attempting to brace the extensions in
hopes to cure everything.  I am making the brace out of "L" shaped aluminum extrusion formed to fit the contours of the windscreen attachment points and held to to the fairing with the windscreen attachment wellnuts and front screw.  The idea is to use the stable part of the fairing to make the weak extensions more rigid.  The extrusion is 1/16" aluminum with dimensions of 1/2" on one side and 3/4" on the other.  So far I have formed it to the correct shape and it fits behind the black trim piece and instrument panel just fine.  Tomorrow I will drill the four holes for the wellnuts and front screw, attach it to the windscreen, and install the whole works onto the bike.  If all works as planned no modifications will need to be made to the fairing or windshield, the braces will only weigh a couple of ounces and will be completely hidden behind the black trim and instrument panel.  I'll post a new message to the list as soon as I have more info.

Dan