Mirror Wars

As promised, here are the results of Round 1 of "Fairing Brace vs. ST".
ST wins with a decisive knock out.  Brace sent to the showers shaking
and quivering after exposure to the infamous ST virus, but vowing "I'll
be back".

Here's what happened.  After installation of the brace on the right side
I noticed an immediate improvement in the stiffness of the fairing
extension and the windshield assembly on that side.  The left side was
still as wobbly as before.  It was looking very promising.  Everything
went together smoothly and there was no way to tell the brace was there
by comparing the two sides.  So it was off for a ride.  At speeds up to
50 mph the right side was showing promise as the fairing extension was
rock solid on that side.  After 50 mph things started to go downhill.
As I approached 100 mph both sides started shaking as bad as usual and
after 100 mph the whole mess was reduced to a shaking/vibrating mess.
It turns out that all I have accomplished is to move the flexing spot on
the fairing further forward and the general floppiness of the entire
fairing assembly still takes over in the end.  It was a disappointing
end to a promising idea.
So I need to try again.  This time I will try an attack on the mirror
mounting point itself.  If that can be braced I think it should combine
with the fairing brace to do the job.  This will take some time to
figure out as I will need to pull the mirrors, front cowl and probably
the instrument panel in order to even see what possibilities exist.
I'll keep the list posted.

Down but not beaten,
Dan