Triumph/Datatool Veto alarm

For all you happy alarm owners out there...

On Sunday, I found the ST's battery had discharged to the point where the
starter solenoid just rattled instead of pulling in to turn over the engine.
Push-starting wasn't an option, being fuel injected, and jump starting from
another battery didn't seem a good idea (I got away with it once before, but
I don't want to try again in case it really does fry the computer), so I
bought a battery charger.

To take the battery out for charging, the alarm has to be in service mode.
That means the alarm squawks once every few minutes - according to the alarm
manufacturers, this is necessary to remind you that the alarm is disabled,
for insurance reasons.  You can remove the ignition keys once it's in
service mode, but you either have to put up with the squawking or you have
to charge the battery in the bike.

The manufacturers tell me a fully charged ST battery will run the alarm for
at least 50 days, so it looks as if my battery or the ST's charging circuit
is faulty, but anyone leaving their bike alarmed for long periods is going
to need a trickle charger.  Apparently it may be possible to keep the ST's
electrics charged by plugging a charger into the accessory socket.

Now I'm looking for a garage to store my bike this winter, with a socket to
plug in my battery charger!

Neil

End of st-digest V1999 #193