Re: Wanderlust

About the misbehaving ST:

If your bike's not stable, it's probably not because of wearing BT57s -
mine's just fine. Some things to check for if the stability's not what it
should be are:

- - Steering head bearings. May be a bit loose or tight.
- - Tyre pressures.
- - Swingarm torqued up correctly? Likewise all the fasteners on the rear
wheel/eccentric.
- - Suspension settings. Start at standard and try going one click either way
on the rear rebound damping. If your pre-load's way up at the rear and way
down at the front, that'd reduce stability too.

Also, hard luggage is notorious for reducing stability - in this respect at
least, soft throwover panniers are much better.

More on tyres - I haven't tried the Dunlops, but I've got to say I'm happy
with the Bridgestones. Can't fault the grip either - just did a track day
and got as far over as I dared. For reference, you can get all the way
through the "hero peg" and into the footrest itself before the silencer
touches down. Bellypan gets scraped, though. Suffice to say, tyres were less
a limiting factor than my own cowardice. So, are the Dunlops popular? How
are they better than the 57s? I might try some next change.. Meanwhile, I
might take you up on the $100 for your old 57s, Jim!

Simon