Impressions

Hi All:

Just took my ST in for it's 6000 mile.  I had the valves checked while
it was there.  Unsolicited advice - have them checked at 6000.  I had
the two center intake valves out of spec.  Maybe they would have been
O.K. to 12,000, maybe not.

Impressions after 6K:
  What a motor - the best I've ever owned.  Smooth with power and torque
everywhere. You can ride at 4K RPM or 8K RPM and go like stink.
  Very secure handling. I'm going through familiar corners at least
10-15 MPH faster and have yet to touch the hero pegs.  Time for a riding
school, I believe.
  Don't get the taller windshield without the Genmar risers. I rode mine
for about 2000 miles with the tall screen before putting them on and
developed some real wrist ache.  Since I've put them on - no problems.
  The seat is not quite as good as I thought initially.  Not bad (and I
realize this is a very subjective area) but after about an hour in the
saddle I start to ache and moving around doesn't seem to help much.  I
may invest in an after market seat or simply stop more often.
  Buy the heated grips.  Even here in Southern Cal they are appreciated
on a cool morning.  They allow you to ride with lighter gloves longer.
  I'm not a big fan of the BT-57's.  Although they grip well when hot,
they have felt slippery at times (especially the rear) when cold.  I'm
replacing them with 205's this week.  I also usually get more than 6K
out of a set of tires.  I used to get about 8 - 10K out of the tires on
my last bike, the quite-a-bit heavier Kawi Concours.

Problems -  almost none and especially none that has affected riding.  I
had the bolts changed out at the 600 mile service.  Usual problem with
the gas gage.  I had the spring that takes up the slack on the clutch
lever break at the tang - fixed under warranty. I also had a small gas
leak at the hose coming off of the fuel pump. A new clamp solved that
problem.

All in all I am very satisfied with the bike and my dealer's service. I
know there are some on the list that have less than wonderful
experiences, but mine has been great.

By the way Eric, thanks for all your work on the list.  It's an
invaluable source for info on the ST.  I know one of the reasons I've
had such a good luck with my bike is learning from the experiences of
those on the list..

Larry Murdock
Middle Age Crazy (MAC)