Re: US: Red rear reflectors cracked

Jonathan,
We have the same reflector law here in the States for the rear facing reflector and we also are required to have front and rear side reflectors as well.  It's the side reflectors which are not on european bikes that I removed.  I wouldn't remove the rear reflector as that is the only thing that shows up at night if the rear lamp burns out.  Our cars require the side reflectors as well.  The American and Japanese manufacturers do a nice job of incorporating the side reflectors into existing lamp assemblies, but the European manufacturers
tend to simply attach any old thing that happens to pass D.O.T standards.  Technically, removing the side reflectors is illegal, but I have never heard of anyone being checked for them.

Dan