Welcome

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEEFF9.5CF6C948

Hi Jeff,
Welcome aboard. Personally, I think your first mistake is your worst
mistake. You must have ridden one :-}. But having done that, most of, if not
all of, this list can sympathize with your position. Once bitten, seems like
the decision has been made, it becomes just a question of time.

Generally speaking (this garnered from a couple of months on the list),
owners LOVE this bike.
Things to love:
1) Engine; torque, torque, torque
2) Brakes
3) Handling
4) Looks (although you will see endless banter about color preferences).
Some magazine articles haven't been to praising of looks, but I think all ST
owners love it. This is the first bike I've ever owned where people come up
to me and tell me "Beautiful bike".

Problems:
1) The recall info is on Eric's site, and I think all bikes should have had
that sorted already.
2) Fuel Gauge/Light - Triumph is sorting out, latest news is the have,
dealers will soon have the fix. But since this effects EVERY ST, it may take
a while until everyone has it replaced. Almost all owners are relying on
trip meter as a gas gauge.
3) Some parts take forever to arrive. My only experience to date is I'm
still waiting for a parts fiche, but others seem to have to wait months for
some things, but I don't believe this is extremely widespread. Lots of
previous email about hard luggage taking months to arrive.
Minor annoyances:
1) Handlebar position - If you didn't come from a sportbike, the bars may be
a bit low for you. GenMar Risers look like the most popular resolution to
tired wrists and arms.
2) If your gas tank sucks air when you open the filler, you probably have a
check valve installed upside down.
3) Heat - It's a fully faired bike, and on a hot day, you feel like you are
riding a hot potato. (Actually, I haven't found it impossible to ride, but I
haven't been through Death Valley at noon in the summer yet either. I find
the heat from my leather jacket in the Sun is more problematic than the ST
at a standstill. SO I just sweat a little, and wait 'til I can get rolling
again.
4) Mirror shake. Again, if you came from a bike that had really stable
mirrors, this might be annoying, but if you came from a really shaker or
buzzer, you will like them just fine.

There have been isolated cases of melted fairings, brake mushiness (usually
sorted by bleeding brakes or making sure the pistons are fully retracted, or
both), coolant leaks, valve clearance issues, starting problems (seems like
a rash of battery issues that came and went), and probably a few more I
haven't noted. Some dealers make your motorcycling experience joyful, while
others .. let me just say less so. But on the whole, a wonderful bike, a
superb experience, and a great bunch of people who agree with your excellent
taste in motorcycles.

In fact, you are just in time to get to the Rally in Eureka Springs,
Arkansas. Check out Eric's website for more info.
http://www.triumphnet.com/st/index.html. It looks like you are only 525
miles away :-), but do break the ST in properly.

So you already expect to be proud, and you will be. Enjoy the feeling of a
really good decision. A couple of weeks ago the Bay Area owners got together
for a run through the twisties. It was as much fun as I have had on a bike
since my motocross days some 30 years ago. Suffice it to say, that upon
describing the experience to my wife, I simply said "I could not have picked
a more perfect bike, just the right combination of sportiness, comfort, and
long-distance capability". For me anyway. Enjoy.