Parts delays

I stopped at a dealer yesterday in my quest to find a dealer for my
upcoming purchase. Several people from the list have made good
suggestions to me and I may have found one.

Anyway. I needed to get some parts for my Honda and I started chatting
with the fellow behind the parts counter. I asked him approximately how
long does it take to get Triumph parts in. He told me that if they came
from TOA then it takes up to 2 weeks. A little longer if from the UK.
Some parts, if not on the shelf at TOA or TUK, can take 2-3 months. I
told him that I heard that it is difficult to get parts. Here comes the
juicy part: He told me that the problem is that TOA has a minimum order.
If the parts you want don't make the minimum, they wait until they have
a sufficient order thereby creating a longer delay.

He explained to me that at their shop  they usually have enough to put
in an order within a few days. If they don't, sometimes they will order
some parts that they like to keep on hand or a few extra of the part
that you want if they think they might be able to sell them. (Could be
just a load of crap, but why would a parts counter guy lie about Triumph
parts to a guy buying Honda parts.)

On an interesting note he told me that it takes even longer to get
Ducati parts.

Steve Lawler
New Jersey, USA

End of st-digest V1999 #198