RE: Howdy - part II

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEF296.4F192CFE

Hi Jeff,
I knew you'd get the bike, like I said, the decision was out of your hands
when you took that first ride.:-}

Doing the GenMars is not that difficult, I did mine one evening. I had
already purchased the 5 crush washers to replace when I replaced the brake
line (2 at the master cylinder, 3 at the caliper where the opposite side
brake line attaches). You have to be careful not to get brake fluid on
anything painted, and it is also a good idea to keep it away from the brake
pads, etc. I just made sure I had plenty of large towels strategically
placed to keep the brake fluid from doing any cosmetic damage. I also taped
up the lower end of the new brake line with masking tape, and had rotated
the fitting to replace the old line. I routed the new line in place, then
removed the old line at the master cylinder. I held my finger over the now
dripping master cylinder, and removed the old banjo bolt and crush washers.
(It would have been really nice to have another pair of hands at this
point). I then attached the new line, and taped up the old line at the upper
end of the line (this prevents the fluid from running out of the line when
you undo it at the caliper, be sure it is airtight). I removed the cap and
filled up the reservoir. I then removed the banjo at the caliper. This was a
little bit messy, but again I removed the banjo and old washers. Before
attaching the new line, I removed the tape, and waited for fluid to run out
of the new line. I then re-attached both brake lines at the caliper. Their
was no air in the right side, but I did get some out of the left, so I guess
this method works reasonably well. I then placed the old line in a jar, and
removed the tape at the top. All the fluid ran out into the jar. After
carefully wiping up any traces of brake fluid I removed the old line. I
re-attached all the clips holding the old line to the new line, done.

I actually had more trouble with the clutch cable. The clutch was pulling a
bit when the bars are cranked hard left. I rerouted the cable under the
ignition switch (you need to remove the lower portion of the cable, then the
upper end, and remove. Then reroute from the top. It still pulls a tiny bit
(moves the clutch actuating arm, but not enough to start disengaging the
clutch. If Triumph makes a cable that is about an inch longer, I may
actually replace it, but for now it seems to work fine. You can remove and
replace the cable without removing any body work. Just count the number of
turns you back off the lower adjustment to remove the cable, and reinstall
to the same place.

The Gen Mars themselves are finished to match your triple clamp. Very nice.