Re: Howdy - Jeff

Martin Fay wrote:

>      Jeff,
>
>      Just another view on the riding position. I came from sportsbikes to the
>      Sprint and when I first sat on the Triumph I felt as though I was sitting
>      back on a sofa. Ideally I would have rotated the bars 10mm forward and
>      maybe dropped them by about 15mm.

I have to agree with this. What is it with bike engineers and ergonomics? Just
sit at
your desk and reach for an imaginary set of bars ,such that you are not forcing
your
wrists to rotate. A conformable position for your bars would be tilted slightly
forward
and down. The ST rotates your wrists outward, so your wrist is in line with the
thumb.
So, you end up putting weight on the outside of the wrist and hand. I truly wish
there
was some rotational adjustment in the bars. (640 miles with the bike) I come from
'85 Honda Interceptor which you could rotate the bars on and found it quite
comfortable.

I am about the same build as you Jeff. 6' ~250lb. It doesn't put a lot of strain
on the wrist if
you sit forward and keep the elbows broken. Do not lock you elbows! Keep them
bent at
all times and you will not put as much weight on your hands.

Clamp your knees into the bike and you can do a lot of maneuvering with the hips,
sort of like
skiing. The zen lesson of the day. Don't  ride the bike through the head set and
bars. Ride it
through the seat and hips. You will find it rotating about you and the steering
will feel light and
responsive. That is what the bike does. It turns about the center of mass, not
the tire patches
on the road. when you take a turn you steer the bike out from underneath you to
put it into the turn.
You reach for the corners. You want to go right? Reach out, push out, with your
right hand. Same
for left. reach for the left or point in the direction with the left hand. I want
to go there! ( note hand
gestures as writer speaks :)

We all are trying to get that flat stomach. The bike is great for that. Lock onto
your tank, take
the weight off your hands and suck in that stomach. An isometric workout on
wheels. Also,
you will find this will help with the lower back stress. Just ride those inches
off :)

Have fun with the bike, it is a blast. It has been noted that I no longer take
the bike out on weekends
just to run errands. I go out with no errands in mind, just to ride. "Ride to
live. Live to ride."

> After a month I had adjusted to the
>      riding position and have had no more discomfort. It may be worth while
>      taking some time to allow your body (and mind) to adjust to the new
>      position before you invest in the risers.
>
>      Martin

- --
                                                    _
Neil Halbert                  _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/ '_) EMC Corporation
email: halbert@xxxxxxx       _/--/  _/ -'_/ _/     /__ 171 South Street
voice: (508) 435-1000 x1232 _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/       Hopkinton, MA 01748